Sunday, April 30, 2017

Week Twelve: Diverse Position Science Fiction

Dawn by Octavia Butler definitely reflected the perspectives and ideals of majoritarian culture, so much so in fact that I surprised myself with my own reaction to their situation. The book starts out from Lilith’s perspective, who is ultimately cold and hostile towards her alien captors. In fact she’s so disgusted by them that she can barely look at them. I personally found this odd, and would probably have been extremely interested and intrigued. The second aspect of majoritarian culture that she nailed was that of the group mind of the people she awakened. Both Lilith’s response to the crowd of awakened humans, and their reaction to Lilith seemed highly accurate or likely to actually take place. I also loved how in adulthood rites, they follow the perspective of Akin, Lilith’s construct Son. This really humanizes the Ooankali, and almost makes Akin seem more human than human.



No comments:

Post a Comment